Request a call back
Stewarts Solicitors

Expert solicitors throughout Northern Ireland

Road Traffic Accident Compensation

You can claim compensation for road traffic accident injuries if the accident was caused by the fault of another motorist, person or party. You can claim compensation if you were injured as a driver, a passenger, and a pedestrian or if you were riding a motorbike a bicycle or a horse at the time of the accident. You can also claim if you are partly to blame for the accident.

In respect of accidents involving the road we act on behalf of:

  • Car drivers for damage and personal injury
  • Motorbike claims
  • Passenger claims (it does not matter if a family member is the “at-fault” driver)
  • Pedestrian claims
  • Cyclist claims

Compensation for road traffic claims may include:

  • Policy Excess
  • Vehicle Depreciation
  • Replacement vehicle
  • Pain and suffering
  • Medical and legal expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Loss of employment
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Private medical care costs
  • Disability
  • Loss of fertility
  • Disfigurement
  • Loss of a loved one

Our Promise to you:

  • Receive 100% Compensation
  • Deal with the same solicitor each time

Uninsured Motorist Traffic Accident Claims

If your road accident injuries were caused by the negligent driving of an uninsured motorist, your claim could be referred to the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) under the “Uninsured Drivers Agreement”. MIB claims can be complex and it is important to have expert solicitors dealing with your claim.

Untraced Motorist Traffic Accident Claims

Even if the motorist failed to stop and you were unable to obtain the registration number of the vehicle, a claim can be pursued against the Motor Insurers Bureau under the “Untraced Drivers Agreement”. It is a condition, however, that the accident be reported to the Police within 5 days of the incident, if claiming for property damage, or within 14 days if claiming for personal injuries. Failure to do so will jeopardise a claim.

Credit Car Hire

If you have been involved in a Road Traffic Accident and it wasn’t your fault, your insurer or claims management company may supply you with a replacement vehicle and allow a period of credit for the rental charges to be paid by the “at-fault” party. This is what is commonly known as credit hire. The invoice for the hire is then included as part of your compensation claim.

If you have a road traffic accident which is not your fault and your car is made un-roadworthy by the accident you are entitled to obtain a replacement vehicle on a like for like basis. If you cannot afford to pay for repairs or a replacement car “upfront” the law allows you to obtain a replacement vehicle on a credit hire basis rather than paying for “upfront hire” or being forced to take a courtesy vehicle free of charge which may not suit your needs and may not be a like for like replacement.

The credit hire charges are usually more than the “upfront” hire charges because the hire company is not going to be paid at the start of the hire period. It’s important to realise that even if you have a comprehensive insurance policy you are still entitled to pursue a claim for a replacement vehicle on a standard hire basis or a credit hire basis without having to make a claim on that policy. There is no need for you to lose your No Claims Bonus or to pay an excess because someone else has crashed into you.

You need to be aware that Defendant Insurance Companies may seek to persuade you that you should accept a car offered by them. Such cars are often not on a like for like basis. The availability of the vehicle may be limited in time and may require a deposit. They may also not include things like satellite navigation. There may be issues about excesses and waivers and insurance cover, particularly if you are a young driver or you have got a poor driving record. You should never accept an offer of a replacement vehicle from a Defendant Insurer without taking legal advice.

Translate »