Request a call back
Stewarts Solicitors

Expert solicitors throughout Northern Ireland

Co-ownership

Co-ownership Housing

Northern Ireland Co-Ownership Housing® may be able to help you if you want to buy your first home, but cannot afford to do so without help. You buy a share of your chosen property and rent the rest from Co-Ownership Housing.

About the Scheme

There is a cap on the value of the property that can be purchased through this scheme.

You can start with as much as you can afford from 50 per cent up to 90 per cent of the property valuation, but is usually set at the maximum percentage considered to be sustainable in each case.

You can increase your share at any time, which is known as “staircasing”.

When you buy some of the property, you rent the rest from Co-Ownership Housing. The rent is set by the Department for Social Development (DSD) when you buy your property as well as any annual rent increases. The rent charge is based on the share of the property still owned by Co-Ownership Housing – for example, if you own 75 per cent of the property, the rent is calculated on the other 25 per cent.

As you are making the payments, you choose the lender and the mortgage product. Co-Ownership Housing does not insist on a property deposit but your lender may do.

As an owner occupier you will also be responsible for the costs and commitments that accompany property ownership, for instance – insurances, rates, ground rent and service charges, maintenance and repairs.

Stewarts are on NICHA’s limited panel of solicitors and also act for many first time buyers.

To find out if you may be legible or for more information please visit the Co-ownership website at https://www.co-ownership.org/

Translate »